Professional Hockey

Look below for the very latest announcements in all levels of ice and roller hockey plus floorball...

A Poll About Hockey Stick Grips

The following poll was inspired by an article I recently did on "Questions About Puckhandling". In that post, I was addressing a number of comments and queries sent me by an adult rec player with a minimum amount of experience. He'd bought my "Incredible Stickhandling" video, so his questions mainly had to do with learning or enhancing that single skills
Along the way, we discussed how he holds his stick, or where he places his dominant hand when controlling the stick.
With that, something that arose during our exchange causes me to ask for input on this poll about hockey stick grips.
-- Dennis Chighisola

A Poll About Hockey Stick Grips

Where that young fellow places his dominant hand on a stick isn't relevant to this piece (but you can get that and more from the earlier post). However, perhaps the reason he and others hold their sticks the way they do does matter.
about hockey stick grips
I'll be the first to tell any visitor that there's no science involved in this discussion. There are, on the other hand, a few tendencies I find coming into play whenever we talk about hockey stick grips.
Ya, it's my contention that a majority of hockey players hold their dominant hand at the top of their stick. That's not a rule, though.
It's also my contention that a majority of hockey players first clutch a stick in the same way they would a broom or a shovel. Furthermore, I'll suggest that one steers the stick, broom or shovel according to where the dominant hand ends up, be it either at the top or on the shaft.
And, that brings me to three simple questions...
Please contribute to this poll, and then check back often to see how things are going. I sense the hockey world will be interested in knowing how a lot of us deal with or feel about hockey stick grips:
[poll id="10"] [poll id="11"] [poll id="12"] Have a suggestion for a different hockey poll? We get a lot of traffic here, as well as a lot of high level hockey visitors.